.

.

Sunday, January 2, 2022

garden chronicles, the greenhouse, from the starting line, part one~

i have been fortunate enough to have a greenhouse at all our homes, so i was very excited for us to build our new greenhouse and officially christen this place home! i have known for years it was coming, but i wanted to do the larger projects first and now this is coming to fruition. i like to keep a chronicle of my new garden, after the fire destroying our home of thirty years, i know photos give me great joy to be able to look back. 

...and so it begins...
starting back on 11-23-20 i started cutting my pad for the greenhouse



on 11-25-20 i got a transfer load of dirt to begin leveling the area


on 11-29-20 the retaining was in, the pad leveled




the pad was left to settle over the winter. 
meanwhile, I was on the hunt for a good deal on windows, on 4-3-21 I struck gold!


on 5-30-21 my husband began forming the foundation for the greenhouse


on 6-5-21 he hand poured the perimeter


on 10-10-21 we laid the pavers in the greenhouse




on 11-23-21 he built the first wall in place


 11-24 the first wall is standing!


to make sure the windows fit exact, he laid the window pattern out and cut and fit in place on the ground first. 11-26-21


he worked late into the sunset


on 11-30-21 the shape is taking hold
 

after the siding and roof was complete, it was time to paint, 12-11-21




we had a little extra time off for a HUGE surprise on 12-14-21!


just a little touch up on 12-17-21 before we begin installing the windows on my birthday!





it was THE best birthday getting all but two windows in, we managed 2 huge windows i never dreamed i could lift and was ecstatic all day!


now came the push to get the greenhouse buttoned up before weeks of storms arrived on 12-19-21










with only hours to spare, the greenhouse was sealed up from the major storms that dropped over 10" of rain!


 hours before the storm hit on 12-21-22 i begged my husband to drag the old table and chairs to the greenhouse so i could start playing!





with the walls up and table in place this ends part one.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! What a beautiful, beautiful greenhouse! My small-garden-in-California dreams of this. I’m going to have to live vicariously through you - I can only imagine how thrilled you are. Once spring comes, I can picture it filled with beautiful plants and flowers. Wishing you a blessed New Year, and thank you for sharing your stunning greenhouse. It made me very happy to see. xo Lidy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how thrilling to see your greenhouse come to life and the best birthday present ever!! Scott is so very talented and handy! I hope that was latex paint he had to remove. :) I know you'll have many happy hours playing in your greenhouse. So smart to have double doors for easy access. I sound like a broken record but I'm still gobsmacked at how much you have accomplished with your plantings and hardscapes around your new-ish home! ♥

    ReplyDelete

welcome~