.

.

Saturday, August 7, 2021

heck of a walk...

I'm sure its no surprise to anyone the west is in dire shape with drought, record heat and catastrophic fires. A couple of days ago a new fire broke out that was highly visible from my home, since wildfires now travel 100s of square miles everyone needs to be alert and ready to depart on a moments notice. I was relieved when the wind sent the flames in our opposite direction, but I shed tears for those 100 homes lost in record speed. The river fire is 50% contained and forward motion was stopped at 2400 acres.

For the past two days the smoke from the Dixie fire, the largest fire to date, has been settling heavy in the west. The sun has been totally obscured for days....


This is my view today...


This is the view the first 30' into the river fire, the above shot is the exact same location, you can see the dip in my barb wire, the right post is the post above. 


I have an expansive view and can see over 100 miles to the west, now I barely see my neighbors land...




There are 3 lovely ponds below me, all lost in smoke...



These were taken last summer with residual smoke burnishing the landscape, this year its completely hidden.





I can barely see the front of my property


Not a time to sit and enjoy the view


Besides being a dangerous to your health smoky garden, walks are still non existent for me, today was a garden drive. After pulling a leg muscle I'm still unable to get around going on three weeks. I miss my garden every minute of the day, with very minor changes to my knee I was able to sit in tessie and take pictures from a far. 

This year I have three groups of quail chicks, which are impossible to catch photos of, they hear me 100' away and are gone before I blink. This sad little pic was shot through my dirty bedroom window at least 75' away. How many sleeping babies can you count? They are the size of walnuts but run as fast as a cheetah! 


These are just pics that caught my eye while sitting in tessie, including pink babies breath...




















6 comments:

  1. May the Good Lord watch over you and your home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind thank you, we are safe, prayers for those who have lost everything and others very much in harms way.

      Delete
  2. Your knee just has to return to normal walking mode. Rest my friend and I will send healing vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jain, whoa that must have been so scary to see that for you. That would haunt me forever. It was close enough to us to wonder how it would turn out but we were lucky also. The smoke was horrible but is much clearer today. I wish for nothing more to happen..Happy Monday..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be so fearful especially after losing your home last year. Keep you in my thoughts and prayers that the fires stay away. The smoke must be horrific. We had a few smoky days a couple of weeks ago courtesy of the jet stream bring smoke to the east coast from those Canadian fires. So sorry your knee has not recovered. Your camera 'zoom' and photos are fantastic so far away. ♥

    ReplyDelete

welcome~