.

.

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

in the garden today~

we are in the midst of a dry spell, driest February on record since 1864, not a drop of water this month, jan 19th was the last moisture that fell. despite the dry, the garden is treating our winter like spring~
 
 
 
 
my evergreen pears look like white billowing clouds from a afar
 
 
I have three acacias dotting the landscape with their profusion of yellow
 
 
the almond trees are smothered in blooms
 
 
 
 
my daffodils are struggling with no water, only 20% are blooming compared to last year
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
this angel has traveled to all of our homes, it now sits midways between an alley of Chinese pistaches that are planted over our passing pets. it is their stairway to heaven~
 
 
for the first time since purchasing our new house my husband mowed our lower acreage, its nice to see the contour and know that it is mowable afterall!
 
 
I have been begging for woodchips since we moved in, I put a sign up in front of my home saying woodchips wanted, it has blessed me tenfold between the county, tree trimmers, homeowner's and pge I have received at least a 1000 yards. last week I came home to a huge surprise of 14 trucks in one day, that's 140 yards of mulch! with my surprise garden gift, I was able to finish one complete side of our property, and as an added bonus, I decided to plant a 100' foot hedge of pink crepe myrtles by the canal. it looks like nothing now, but in years to come it will add a splash of color I had not planned on, all because the county was kind of enough to make this all possible!
 
 
today we started work on the kitchen garden! its going to be about a 1000 sf garden of raised beds just off the kitchen, I look forward to fresh herbs, flowers, and veggies, of course they must be deer proof since its not a fenced in garden...
 
 
 
 
 
while we kept extra busy today I kept looking out and seeing Katie far off in the distance...
 
 
 
she is obsessed with her ball...
 
 
 
she is howling for us to come throw it for her...
 
 
 
 
better luck tomorrow Katie!
 

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. Love the geese and the puppy! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Amazing that your garden does so well with so little rain. I am curious where you live. My daughter (a landscape architecture student at UVA) will be traveling to the central valley area of CA to study drought conditions, effects, etc. in March. I am forwarding your post to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in the foothills North of Sacramento. Plants do well in winter even with dry conditions because of clay soil, cold temps at night and I always mulch, adding an ever better chance on holding moisture content. I planted trees this week, we drill with our tractor, i was amazed at how perfectly moist the soil was 2' down. We are in the 70s next week, no sign of rain in the future, we don't get irrigation water until mid april, I don't see how things can go on so long with warming weather without some terribly stressed vegetation sans rain...

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous blooms! Your kitchen garden looks amazing already with all the hardscaping going in. Can't wait to see it all finished! Love, love your border collie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A dog and it's ball. She would love to keep you busy all day long. What a large garden! Looks like it all coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, those flower pictures brightened my day - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable photos of Katie and her ball! So glad you've had some rain since this post. Mother Nature has been so unpredictable...it's either feast or famine with drought or flooding rains.

    ReplyDelete

welcome~