.

.

Friday, July 26, 2013

it is...


the novel bakers present lavender week~







































for pastry:

•260g all-purpose flour
•1 tsp ground cardamom
•1 tbsp freshly grated Meyer lemon zest
•1/2 tsp sea salt
•1/4 cup granulated sugar
•7 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chilled
•1 large egg yolk
•1 tbsp freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
•2 tbsp water, chilled

for ganache filling:

•10 oz. heavy whipping cream
•1/4 cup culinary lavender + more to top
•12 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
•3 tbsp honey
•2 tbsp unsalted butter
•coarse sea salt

pastry:

1.Using a food processor, pulse together the flour, cardamom, lemon zest, salt, and sugar until combined. Add in the butter and pulse until the mixture has the texture of small peas.
2.Add in the egg yolk and then slowly add in the water/lemon juice just until the dough begins to form when pressed between two fingers.
3.Form the pastry into a ball and refrigerate for at least one hour or stick it n the freezer for 15 minutes.
4.When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
5.Press the pastry dough firmly into the tart pan. Prick the dough all over with a fork. Place a sheet of parchment paper over the dough and fill with pie weights or dry beans. Return to the freezer for just a few minutes so the dough can harden up a bit again.
6.Bake for about 15 minutes until the edges begin to turn golden. Remove the beans and parchment paper and bake for 10-15 minutes more, or until the crust has turned golden brown all over. Remove from oven and let cool.

filling:

1.In a medium saucepan, heat the cream and lavender buds to a simmer. Cover and remove from heat. Allow to steep for 10-20 minutes.
2.Place the chopped chocolate and honey in a large bowl and place a fine mesh strainer on top. Set aside.
3.Add the butter to the cream and lavender and return to a simmer. Remove from heat and pour the hot cream mixture through the sieve over the chocolate/honey. Be sure to press out all of the liquid from the lavender buds.
4.Whisk the cream and chocolate together until smooth. Immediately pour into the prepared crust.
5.In a mortar and pestle, rub together an equal amount of sea salt and lavender and sprinkle over the chocolate.
6.Allow the tart to set at room temperature fora couple of hours until completely cool. Serve at room temperature.





11 comments:

  1. Oh my heavens, I'm hyperventilating! The TART, the jars, the table, the setting, your wonderful pallet tray, the weathered bench and chair... I'm drooling and incapable of speech!

    I need to pin every photo, so gorgeous and the lavender is the star of the show, well, maybe the tart is!

    I seriously think Scott should go into the pallet tray business and you could sell on etsy with or without the chalkboard paint. I would take 3 to stack for my potting shed, consider that your first order :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if only he could retire on that income i would be THRILLED!

      Delete
  2. Lavender week has been wonderful. I wish I had smell-0-vision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its not over yet, in fact i have lavender recipes straight thru until the 1st! i have been so smitten with the lavender cookbook i saw no reason to stop ;-)

      thanks for stopping by and i meant to tell you go visit wineries, they almost always have the most beautiful grounds, you don't need to drink to enjoy yourself~

      Delete
  3. Sounds wonderfully delicious and rich! A decadent treat for the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for stopping by, its so decadent, but worth it! i loved your brownies, i wanted to comment on your blog but it didn't work for me...

      Delete
  4. This post absolutely sings LAVENDER! So summery (and I can almost smell the warm, sweet, perfume from here. Absolutely lovely!

    Be still my heart, I want to marry that gorgeous tart ~ *sigh* it looks utterly decadent, and I know the two of us would be very happy together. hee!

    Late to the comment party because of thunder and electrical storms ~computer shut down. (Dry and scary in these tinderbox conditions.)

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sitting here indulging in an afternoon blueberry treat with my tea, but boy would l rather have a slice of that chocolate tart. I read above that you have lavender posts ready to for through the 1st. Yipee!
    I'm pinning your pics. Love the simplicity of your table with the white dishes, the jars of lavender, the bouquet tied to the chair back, . . . It's much to warm and humid to dine alfresco now, but will use these ideas for a table in the fall. My mind is already buzzing with idea. Thanks for the inspiration! Now to find a long weathered table. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elegance, beauty, style. Those words don't begin to describe your talent. I just fall into your photographs, and I'm making notes. Oh lord, the weathered teak, the ganache, the lavender.
    I don't want lavender week to end, and I'm thrilled that we get to enjoy more delightful gifts from your kitchen. Looking forward to these lovely summer posts. (Gathering in the Garden finally arrived today.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. Not sure if Google ate my comment. I wish I had just eaten your chocolate tart!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just returning from a few days in the Adirondack Mountains and catching up on all the wonderful lavender posts. I am so enjoying Lavender week! Wish I could be your taste tester! :)

    ReplyDelete

welcome~