.

.

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

garden updates~

it has been hot for weeks, high 90s nonstop, peppered with 100 here and there, more of the same for as far as I can see out the next couple of weeks. I don't do well in heat, I rise early and pretty much peter out by 10-11 these days, I just can't stay hydrated enough to handle my wet slick sweating body! in the midst of this heat wave I finally planted my peonies, first I needed supplies to plant around 60 potted plants I have been tending to for up to two years.
 
 
I planted the peonies on the edge of large spring tree and shrub border in shades of pinks, thinking the peonies would compliment them nicely in spring. I named this area frog holler, when we first bought the property I would hear the bull frogs calling out from the canal. I love frogs, my last house had frog hill, this frog bench sat proudly in a large lavender border, I feel like a traitor switching his backdrop to peonies, I am so accustomed to him flanking fragrant purple bushes dotted with yellow sunburst locust, it will take time adjusting to his new backdrop of large floppy peonies and purple smoke trees.
 
 
we built a quick little patio for him to stay firm and clean, I like to see my feet in rattlesnake country!
 
 
while planting the peonies I saw several frogs leaping out of my way, it felt like a good omen~
 
 
the border is about 80-100' long, double planted in a couple of sections with the bench as the center focal resting spot.
 
 
 
 
the goal is to have a greenhouse and fenced in deer proof garden in the future in this area.
 
 
our next project is the barn...
 
 
 
first up is building a retaining wall behind the barn for a large level patio.
 
 
just a bit of some of the garden color today on my walk...
 





















 

1 comment:

  1. Your peonies are going to breathtaking! Can't wait to see your barn project too!

    ReplyDelete

welcome~