.

.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

worth mentioning...


if you already know marlena you will love this, but if you are new to her, start with her first book, a thousand days in venice, read them all in a row, a thousand days in tuscany, the lady in the palazzo, that summer in sicily and then antonia and her daughters. you won't be sorry. to me she is larger in life in person, but her writing truly resonates deep within me...



it was a cold foggy day at the beach, perfect for tuscan soup, warmed with cinnamon and caramelized onions...









a soup of cinnamon scented onions and peas in the manner of caterina de medici

4 T extra virgin olive oil
1 T unsalted butter
4 large yellow onions
1 T sugar
2 T ground cinnamon
sea salt and fresh cracked white pepper
3 cups good beef broth
1 cup dry white wine
500 g english peas shelled and poached in water 5-7', drained and pureed
1 cup parmigiana
6 1/2" slices coarsely textured bread lightly toasted and rubbed with extra virgin olive oil

as if this recipe alone isn't worth buying the book... there is so much more awating you~

5 comments:

Pam said...

Well, obviously I must read this!!! I'll follow your instructions and start with her first book!

Robinanne said...

Some days ago you posted about books you were reading, had read, etc. From that I ordered 1000 days in Venice. It arrived. It's actually been on my reading list for years. I'm a lazy reader! I started the reading the book and so far am just to the part where she is fixing to move. But I love the romance of it already. Can't wait to get into her more descriptive dialog about her life with Fernando and the food!

Janie's World said...

I'm going to order A Thousand Days in Venice now. I am inspired. I used to love your Food for thought blog that mixed reading and food. I thought it so original and inspiring.

Rattlebridge Farm said...

I had let this slip my mind. (Why do the good things always slip?) But I'm going to order A Thousand Days in Venice right now.

Mary said...

SOLD! I have to start at the beginning! I popped over the Amazon to peak at her books, we're heading for a week out of town mid month so I'll have lots of reading time. So miss your marriage of books and food, it was always delicious!