.

.

Sunday, November 8, 2020

garden chronicles, the nursery update

back in mid september we began our latest project, the nursery, an area for me to play with plants and grow them along until i planted them in the garden. once i get my greenhouse, i will have 1000s of plants filling this area as i grow seedlings into masses of garden color for the future. 

tucked into the far corner of the garden, near the barn and greenhouse area to be, we started by building a retaining wall and leveling the area with fill dirt.

it will be two tiered, right now we are concentrating on the top level. 

 the patio was laid and i instantly moved up my plant racks and an old table to start moving in the plants i have waiting for their future garden homes. 

this area is called frog holler, i pay tribute here with my many collected frogs over the years.




this is just a temporary table, a larger table will be built and the main sprinkler will be installed mid table to cover this area with irrigation. 



for now the table is being used for the many bulbs started for christmas, once i move them indoors they will quickly enjoy the heated home and grow rapidly... if only i had my greenhouse now! 

the right side of the patio is my potting station area, we built a 12' long storage table to hold all my containers for transplanting, its not pretty looking at plastic pots, but this is a working garden! we backed the table with wood so when the wind howls in winter my containers won't be blown out of of state. 




because deer love a good buffet i need to make this area deer proof, i "fenced" the top of the table with horse panels, perfect for hanging extra garden goodies. 







on the same side is my potting station, an old horse trough, i can drive the tractor from the back side and keep if filled with potting soil, it holds 5 scoops! we made a slated sliding pot rack for planting. i am staring out where the greenhouse will go, about 75' out, between the barn and the canal by the orchard. 



right next to the potting table is the sink, not yet plumbed, it too is a large metal trough, long enough to submerge two flats and over a dozen one gallon pots. it will be a great soaking area after transplanting in our hot summers, being frog holler, it will have a frog faucet, rivet!

right now we are working on the top patios fencing, this old gate from our old house needed some extra heavy due welding to get it sturdy enough for daily use. we leveled and cemented it in today. the fence posts were dug and poured also, tomorrow we will add the fence panels to make it a deer free area. the front fence and gate will be planted with 6 clematis, the goal is to hide the working area behind those beautiful vines. 


we are getting close to having the upper patio completed, we need to finish the fencing, plumb the sink and faucet, install irrigation and build a 4x8 table before this section is complete. the lower patio will be for the shade plants, with more racks and a shady seating area for when i am hot and exhausted in the dead heat of the summer i can collapse amongst my babies 😉

just excited to see it one more time in the morning sun the next day!








5 comments:

  1. Oh, you are unbelievable. So much energy and such good designs. It will not only be beautiful, but so productive. I can't wait to see it all in working order. You will have another national park before you are through..Stay well, my friend..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  2. National park, thanks for the laughs! I just have to keep reminding myself I am old and getting older, I need to keep it all manageable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much progress with such design incite. You two never cease to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I’m grinning from ear to ear! I adore your frog collection and future nursery! You and Scott have been so industrious with all your retaining walls, hardscaping building and earth moving. I bet your mind never stops and you dream of potting and planting in your sleep. I ADORE your clock fashioned from garden tools, flower bar sign and of course, Potting Shed sign. I missed the ‘twin memo’, where did you find it?! I am a lazy garden slug in comparison but it has been a wet and soggy mess outside. We’re tied for the 5th wettest year on record and may surpass that before the year is over. Would love to send you some of our rain. ♥

    ReplyDelete

welcome~