.

.

Sunday, January 12, 2020

Memories...

recently I was at our old house cleaning out the kitchen cupboards, I came across my old recipe file...


now a days I think index cards are ancient history, but when I started cooking 50 years ago we took recipes from word of mouth or magazines. on every birthday my grandmother made us all an 8 layer rainbow cake, that filling recipe came from her, made even in her youth, my sister is 80 years old, you can just imagine how old that recipe is.

the con casa recipe was my mothers favorite cocktail party recipe, I hate to say it but I love it too, haven't made it in 40 years, but loved seeing it again. the spinach dip came from my working days in my late teens at the long gone I Magnins, I thought it was exotic then with knorrs vegetable soup.

today there is no need to write anything down, with google at your fingertips you can find an infinity of ideas on any topic under the moon and stars. I tossed 100s of cards away and just held on to this handful for the memories. one of the recipes I did keep was recent, well if you think thirty years old is recent, compared to the rest...


our old house had lots of fresh citrus, I was always hunting for lemon recipes, this was my standard go to dessert recipe for a decade. our new house has lots of small citrus planted, but its colder here and Meyers are very slow to grow... after I found my recipe cards I knew I wanted to honor my new trees with an old standard I haven't made in 15 years...







lemon pudding
bake at 350 for one hour in water bath

3 eggs separated
2 T butter
3/4 sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 c flour

whip egg whites and add 1/4 sugar

mix all other ingredients separately and fold into egg whites.
Pour into souffle dish or individual ramekins. 
serve with fresh fruit whole or purred with sugar to taste

after I took these pics I went to file my recipe away on my computer, I found I had saved it from early, my kitty is now a hefty 13 year old boy~






 just as delish now as then!

3 comments:

  1. Lemon is one of my favorites! 😁

    I had to smile at the Velveta on one of your cards. Ha ha! A tried and true favorite, then and now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post. It was fun to see the old recipes and read your memories of them. Thanks, as always, for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a box of my grandmother's recipes on note cards..my Dad gave them to me and said I should do a cookbook with her recipes. Maybe someday. Enjoyed seeing your vintage recipe cards. There is something about a handwritten card that is special.

    ReplyDelete

welcome~