.

.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

110 degrees in the shade...

and its going to be another scorcher...



for over a week our temps ranged from 106 to 111 degrees, tired of feeling like i live in an oven, i decided it was time to put my broiling sun to work for me. rather then cowering indoors on the a/c vent, i bravely stood in the blazing sun, it must have been well over 125 degrees in the full sun as i cut my roma tomatoes and laced them with herbs and spices.











i sliced the tomatoes into thirds, after i trimmed off the ends, which i tossed to the family of deer just below my deck, eager for a moist morsel. for the novel bakers lavender week we went to a gorgeous winery with lavender fields and goodies, today was the perfect day to sprinkle on my new pink himaylian lavender finishing salt, herbs de provence, lavender and lavender spice rub. i also spread some fresh cut basil and rosemary on another tray.















a couple of years ago my husband made me several stacking trays from old palettes for all the fresh fruit i am able to pick almost year round. i took window screen material and fitted them inside the trays and then covered the tops, secured with push pins, to keep out the insects and birds.















i had to bring the trays in at night because my deck has a fountain that entertains raccoons and foxes nightly, i just knew they would love my sun dried tomatoes just as much as me... my husband commented on how heavenly our laundry room smelled while they rested overnight. in the midst of heat wave i knew these would be ready in no more then 2 days, i kept taste testing them, i thought they were perfect in just a half of a day, but decided to give them 2 full days to see what our temps could really do. after drying to the plumpness of raisin, i firmly pressed them tightly in an air tight jar and covered with olive oil.







i let them rest a few days, i could hardly wait to enjoy my summer in a jar from start to finish~